*As Justice Tanko resigns from office
Barring any last-minute change, President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to swear in Justice Olukayode Ariwoola as the new Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN).
Ariwoola replaces Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad, who resigned his appointment on health grounds and following recent spat with Justices of the Apex Court over protests bothering on corruption and abuse of office.
Justice Muhammad has resigned from his position, reportedly on health grounds.
The CJN’s Special Assistant on Media and Strategy, Mr. Isah Ahuraka confirmed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
It was reportedly gathered that Justice Ariwoola is the next most senior.
Justice Ariwoola was born on Aug. 22, 1958 and appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 2011.
He was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court in 2011. He was a Justice of the Court of Appeal between 2005 and 2011 after having been elevated from the State High Court of Oyo State.
Justice Ariwoola was first appointed a Judge of Superior Court of record in Oyo State in 1992 from private legal practice.
Before his elevation to the Supreme Court, he served as Justice of Court of Appeal in Kaduna, Enugu and Lagos Divisions.
According to reports, Ariwoola will retire by 2028.
In line with the Supreme Court tradition, President Buhari is expected to inaugurate the new CJN Ariwoola today.
Who is Justice Oluwakayode Ariwoola?
1. Justice Ariwoola was born on 22 August 1958 and he is currently the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court.
2. He was formerly a Justice of the Court of Appeal and was elevated to the Supreme Court bench after having been elevated from the State High Court of Oyo State.
3. Ariwoola started his educational career in his home town Iseyin at the Local Authority Demonstration School, Oluwole, in the Iseyin Local government of Oyo State between 1959 and 1967.
4. Before his elevation to the Supreme Court, Ariwoola served as Justice of the Court of Appeal in Kaduna, Enugu, and Lagos divisions.
5. He has attended many International and National conferences and workshops in France, Atlanta Georgia, UK and Dubai, UAE, and he is happily married with children.